Desertification is the process by which an existing desert spreads across an area which was fertile and wet before. The spreading of the existing desert makes it bigger and a new desert forms. Two main causes for desertification is a natural shift in weather patterns or un-natural bad farming practices. Farmers have put to much pressure on the land, overgraze, overstock or bad cropping techniques. This leads to the degradation of the fertile soil which turns into a desert. A good example is the Sahel region in West Africa, on the edge of the Sahara Desert. The desert conditions are spreading into the Sahel. Local wildlife and human population will be severely effected by this.
- Some scientist believe that the clearing of trees has a great effect on the environment believing that trees attract rainy weather and produce precipitation in other areas.
- Discuss as a group why these scientists would come to this conclusion, while your discussing, have some relevant books or the internet available to research this topic.
- Discuss also ways we can resolve the problems caused by bad practices.
- After your group discussion write your ideas and what you have discussed as a group about the topic.
- Remember if we all start to care for the environment, it in turn will care for us.
©2000 Teaching Treasures™ Publications