Now that you're almost set for your holiday, you will need to consider a few more points which may need to be completed before leaving home. This check list gives some ideas but you need to also refer to the check list you made previously called 'Things To Do'.
General home preparations:
Water indoor plants and arrange a neighbour to care for the plants while your away.
- Unplug electrical appliances - computers, microwaves, television sets.
- Turn heating/cooling system down or off.
- Stop home delivery services such as the daily newspaper.
- Arrange mailbox to be emptied by a neighbour.
- Notify postmaster if you collect mail from the post office or if you have a postal box.
- Arrange for your pet's care.
- Mow the lawn, tidy garden and water it well so it looks cared for while you are away.
Home security measures:
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Lock garage, shed and any other outbuildings.
- Lock away all garden tools and valuable items on verandas.
- Remove keys that are hidden outside the house.
- Place all important papers and valuables in a safe.
- Tell trustworthy family or neighbours that you'll be away and how to contact you in an emergency.
- Turn on telephone answering machine if available.
- Change your answering machine message at the office, notifying you'll be away until a given date.
- Use a light timer to make the lights come on when it gets dark.
- Decide which blinds and curtains you want left open and those you want closed.
In the kitchen:
- You can leave the freezer on to store food so you have something to eat when you come home.
- If you have a freezer with your refrigerator remove perishable items from your refrigerator if you're leaving it on, or empty it if you intend to unplug it.
- Remove perishables from the pantry.
- Place opened grain food packages in air tight containers to stop insects feeding.
- Clean out all rubbish bins and wash the wet area floors.
- Wash all the dishes and clean the drain thoroughly to avoid unpleasant odours when you come home.
- Throw away any flowers in vases and clean them.
- Use a surface-spray insecticide or consider alternative measures if you normally have an insect problem.
Car preparations if using your car for the journey:
- Have the car serviced.
- Check the spare tyre and jack.
- Check oil level.
- Check tyre pressure.
- Check coolant level.
- Fill windshield cleaner fluid bottle.
- Pack a first aid kit.
- Schedule a medical and dental check-up before the trip.
- Ask your doctor about necessary vaccinations.
- Update personal identification.
- Check your financial situation.
- Obtain correct currency if travelling to another country.
- Ensure your passport is up to date and correct visas have been obtained.
- Consider traveller’s checks, available from your bank.
- A telephone calling card may be useful instead of cash.
- Fill out an absentee voter form if you won't be home during election time.
- Leave your out-of-town address and contact phone number with family and friends.
- Pay all current bills including rent or mortgage.
- Leave sufficient funds with a friend or relative to pay accounts while your away.
- Wash all your dirty clothes, do not leave them in the laundry.
- Prepare an updated address and telephone book.
© Copyright All pages on this site are copyright property of Teaching Treasures™ Publications